Friday, June 13, 2008

Ethical Issue Essay 1- Cloning

Cloning, Good or Bad?

Clone: A group of cells or organisms that are genetically identical as a result of asexual reproduction, breeding of completely inbred organisms, or forming genetically identical organisms by nuclear transplantation. Cloning is one of the most controversial issues in science today. What is it? Is it good? Is it bad? Why? I asked three people these questions, and to make it a little easier on them, I narrowed it down to three subjects and asked each of them for their opinion on one of the three subjects. The three subjects I chose are cloning for medical purposes, cloning animals, and cloning humans.
The first person I asked was my father-in-law, Earl. I asked him for his opinion on cloning for medical purposes. Being a diabetic and having cardiac problems, I thought he would have an interesting opinion on it. He said that he thought it was a good thing, but a bad thing too. Sure, by cloning organs you can be certain that the patient will not reject it, because it’s an exact copy, but who’s to say it won’t go bad too. Also, how much more will it cost to get a cloned organ over a donor? It’s good that they are able to do it, and it’s probably already saving lives, but who knows. He also had an opinion on animal cloning, but I left that one for my mother.
According to my mother, Jeannine, cloning of animals is, for the most part, a good thing. You can be sure that the quality of meat will be excellent, and you never have to worry about a bad piece. But then you have to think about cost. Because they are cloning them, will the prices of meat go up? Sure, there will be more, but it’s better quality, which always costs more, and with gas prices and everything else going up in price because of gas, now is definitely not the time for it. Cloning animals however, isn’t nearly as controversial as cloning humans.
Lastly, I asked my husband, Keith, what he thought of cloning humans. Being one of the most opinionated people I know, I saved this one for him. According to my husband, cloning humans is scientists trying to play god. There is no need for human cloning, it will only lead to mass racism, man vs. clone, and possibly lead to the apocalypse or a second civil war. Not to mention, how will we be able to keep track of who is the person, and who is the clone? There is no way to be certain that things will happen the way they want it too, because once you clone a person, the clone has its own mind.
Let’s take a look at what my father-in-law, mother, and husband had to say about cloning, and what I think. I would have to say that I agree with all three of them. I think that cloning things for medical reasons is a great idea, but cost is definitely a concern. I think that cloning animals for quality not quantity is a great idea, but again, cost is a concern. And lastly, I think that cloning people is a horrible idea. I would hate to see our world crumble and end up like some science fiction story.
Cloning. Will there ever come an end to this controversy? Whether it’s organs, animals, or humans, someone will always have an opinion different from everyone else.

No comments: