Friday, June 27, 2008

Unit 2 Lab- Exercise Physiology

Unit 2 Lab Project: Exercise Physiology

The objective of this lab was to measure basic body metabolic parameters- pulse, respiration, and blood pressure- at rest and doing various activities. For my activities, I chose things I do on a daily basis. Taking care of my 5 month old, eating, and doing chores.

*My Hypothesis: I think that taking care of the baby will raise my pulse, respiration, and blood pressure. Eating will raise my pulse and blood pressure, but not my respiration. And, doing chores will raise my pulse, respiration, and blood pressure.

*My Materials: To measure my pulse and blood pressure, I used an electronic blood pressure cuff. To measure my respiratory rate, I used my watch to see when 30 seconds had passed, and I counted breaths in my head. (Also see pictures)

*My Data:





















*Analysis of Data: My hypothesis was correct. Taking care of the
baby raised my pulse, respiration, and blood pressure, eating raised my pulse and blood pressure, but not my respiration, and doing chores raised my pulse, respiration, and blood pressure.

*Conclusion: I can now say that the metabolic parameters will increase with an increase in physical activity. I can also say that eating will cause your blood pressure and pulse to increase, most likely because your digestive system is breaking down the food and fueling the rest of the body.

No comments: